Nuffnang

Wednesday 9 July 2014

Day 35: 5 weeks update!

Wow, I am 5 weeks post op. I have been rotting at home for the past 5 weeks trying to recuperate.
So here goes my update..

Bruising
I am only left with the little small bruise beside my lip. It is going down verrrrrry slowly. Other than that, I do not have anymore visible bruise.

Swelling
My right jaw muscles are still quite swollen, I can still feel the bump. The funny thing about this swelling is it goes up and down. I feel that my face is smaller last week then it got big again. I have no idea how this exactly works. I'm pretty sure that 80% of my swelling is gone by now. 20% still resides around my cheeks and chin I guess.

Numbness
My numbness has worsen in my lower left lip and chin areas ever since last week but he has gotten slightly better. I do not actually think I have gotten better. I am prepared for permanent numbness in these two areas already, I do not mind that.

Other than that, I am still totally numb in my left jaw/gums. I cannot feel the food that I am chewing if I were to chew with my left teeth. It feels weird like as if there is a gap between my upper and lower jaw. On the other hand, I have regained feelings in my lower right jaw/gums. Just not 100%.

My upper gums are still completely numbed.

Pain
Not much pain with regards to the jaw. Since I am regaining some feelings back, I can finally feel the my braces' wires/hooks/brackets cutting into my cheeks again. Not cool. Boo. This is the only pain that is bothering me whenever I open my mouth to speak/eat. The back wires is constantly scratching my inner cheeks as if it is digging for gold. I have been putting on wax on my braces to help relieve some pain.

No more painless ulcers. T_T

Diet - Eating and Drinking
I have started chewing on normal food a few days back. I definitely do not have the strength to chew chicken/pork not to mention steaks. My main protein now has got to be fish. I tried eating rice but after he has been soaked in soup so it puffs up and softens a little.

Some other soft food I tried were pastas, fries, noodles.

Sleeping
I am unable to sleep at night, I'll go to bed around 12mn and finally fall asleep around 4-5am. This has nothing to do with my jaw but just a really bad habit of mine.

However, I do wake up in the middle of the night because of bruxism which I have talked about in my previous post.

Breathing 
Have been having a little breathing difficulty lately because of mucous buildup. I think my sinus is partially back but I am still not very sure. The mucous that I have been experiencing is extremely thick which makes it difficult for me to blow it out. Sometimes when I exert too much strength to force it out, I see remnants of blood(?) since it's dark brown in colour. Not sure whether it's related to my diet.

Talking
Speech is still a problem for me. Firstly, the pain from the braces' cuts makes me not wna speak because it hurts every time i move my jaws. Next, the 1-2mm overbite allows air to escape while I speak so I am still unable to pronounce certain words properly. It is the almost the same as if pre-op since I had a more severe underbite. Hopefully, I am able to speak properly after I go back to my dentist.

Energy
Energy level is fine IF I am not doing any strenuous activities. I tried to cycle yesterday and I felt dizzy after about 3km. I have not tried going back to work yet which I will, tomorrow but only for 4 hours. I wonder how it'll be.

Weight loss
Because I fell sick last week, I lost extra weight there which I have gained back already. Weight lost has peaked at 5.8kg last week. I have now lost a total of 5.5kg. It has been lingering around these digits so I will  not be updating about this component after today's post.

Skin
Skin condition is back to how it was pre-op. I am thankful for a less oily face..

Jaws
I can open my mouth about 1.3 fingers max now. I think I am really slow when it comes to opening my mouth. I have also been slacking on jaw exercises.

I'll be back to my resume my ortho journey, I hope dr loh will be gentle on me since I am unable to open my mouth wide enough for him yet.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, glad to see that you are recovering well. Time flies. You are already 5 weeks in. I only got 4 weeks of leave. How I wish I could extend haha.. Nice to remove those hooks. So how long will your braces be on from now on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not too sure how long more. I had my braces on for only 2 months before I went for my surgery. I guess I have another year or so to go. Since my dentist removed my arch wire during my recent visit and now my teeth are all crooked again.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment/ask anything. I'll be more than happy to answer them. :)