Nuffnang

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Day 49: Tip: Receding Gums + Yellow Teeth (BONUS!) Home Remedy

I have been experiencing receding gums after surgery and I was getting a little too paranoid that my teeth would fall off because of it.

So I went onto Google, everyone's best friend, to look for some cheap remedy and tried out TWO methods because I already have the ingredients on hand.

What you gna need:
- Coconut Oil (or any oil you have at home)
- Baking Soda

I know it's really hard to find coconut oil in Singapore's supermarket but I got mine at Mustafa. Mustafa has everything you need, a wide range of products. I went onto the milk section alone and I was amazed at the variety they offer.

These two ingredients seemed to be in most DIY ideas. I used a little bit of coconut oil on my hair too. And you can also use baking soda in baking, diy backheads/pimple, get rid of clog, etc. The possibility is endless.

#1 Coconut Oil
They call it the "oil-pulling" method. So basically all you have to do is to take 1 tablespoon (15ml) of coconut oil, don't have to be precised use however much you would as if you're using a mouthwash, swished it around your mouth for 15 - 20 mins. Yes, that long.

I tried this method only once and I already hate it. It feels really greasy and gross when you're gargling with oil. While I was swishing it around my mouth, I can feel bits of gunk inside my mouth. I did not swished it around for the full 15-20 minutes. I probably spit it out after 1 minute. ~.~ bleh.

Apparently, what this does is that it reduces the amount of bacteria in your mouth and the oil creates a "barrier" on your teeth so the bacteria/plague will not be able to stick to it. Makes sense right? It also helps to control bad breath/gingivitis.

After you're done with this, brush your teeth.

#2 Baking Soda
I personally prefer this method. Firstly, you need to mix water and baking soda until it becomes a paste.

This is how it should look like
I do not have the exact measurements since I estimate everything. The good thing about baking soda is, if you accidentally poured in too much water, let the mixture rest for around 20 seconds or lesser and the baking soda will sink to the bottom, you can then pour out the excess water.

For this method, you're supposed to take the mixture and massage your gums both outer and inner gums at the same time. But because I am unable to open my mouth wide enough to fit my finger in, I used my baby tooth brush and brushed my gums and also my teeth until I finished my baking soda paste. It tasted a little salty but you'll get used to it.

I tried this method for 2.5 days, every morning and night when I brushed my teeth and I got lazy so I stopped after that. After the first usage, I can immediately see that my teeth is whiter, I am not kidding I was like "wow, they looked so much whiter already" and this was not even the main concern. So it feels like a bonus to me. Although there wasn't any improvement in the gums even after day 2.5 so I stopped using it. Come to think about it, these are gums and they no need grow overnight.

Today, after stopping about a week I finally see a difference! My gums have grown a lot, though I still have a little receding gums. So I'm going to continue this method tonight again until they are fully grown.

What baking soda does is that it neutralises the acid that bacteria grows on, in our mouth. This is probably the cheapest method for receding gums problems.

All the best. x

3 comments:

  1. I'm getting a little bit of receeding gums too! But I'm going to try this tomorrow! How long did you leave the paste on for? And did you do it at night or in the morning? More than once?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really leave it in, I just use the paste like how I would normally brush my teeth. (until I finish the paste) I use it every time before I brush my teeth, so once in the morning and once at night. :) hope it helps!

      Delete
  2. ohh I thought I was the only one noticing my gums receding! I'm definitely gonna try this! thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment/ask anything. I'll be more than happy to answer them. :)